In this exploration of place, I have come to realize how much coffee is the essence of Coop. It is one of the most commonly ordered items on the menu. The smell permeates the space (and now my room). The sound of the coffee machine is the soundtrack underneath the conversation and laughter. When approaching this in progress critique, I struggled with how to bring that essence into the piece. A simple cup of coffee did not have the same effect, it was not overwhelming. Inspiration from my third visit inspired me to use the drink in a different way. I spent my weekend painting with coffee. I used a variety of "canvases" to see how the textures affected the way the "paint" dried. I used napkins, paper and cardstock. The varying degrees of thickness determined how quickly the material soaked up the liquid and the patterns it dried in. In addition to staining the surface, the coffee left behind the faint scent of Coop.
I'm not sure Marley's work strictly counts eco-art. Though Marley is using nature to create art, and his intentions seem to be to get people more interested in various species of animals, it seems like his work is leaning towards an anthropocentric view. Rather than drawing the viewer to the natural world and showcasing its beauty, he is instead choosing to box the natural world and bring it to the viewer. His work seems to me to be more focused on what nature can do for people, rather than what people can do for nature. He's removing the animals from their context in the world for the sake of letting people see them in a completely different and pristine environment, which I personally don't think counts as eco-art.
ReplyDeleteMarley is an interesting comparison to Andy Goldsworthy. Both artists used materials found in nature to create their sculptural/photographic work. Goldsworthy works in the environment he found his "tools" in. As the article points out, Marley isolates his specimens from their natural environment. While aesthetically pleasing, I agree with MC that this work does not feel definitively like Eco-Art.
ReplyDelete